parsing taxonomic rank

Robert A. (Bob) Morris ram at CS.UMB.EDU
Fri Jun 22 18:52:33 CDT 2001

I know this has been answered here at least in snippets, and at least
by implication, but I wasn't paying attention and couldn't find
satisfaction in the archives:

If I wish to have a good chance developing rules for the machine
generation of the taxonomic rank of a taxon name based on Latin
grammar or other formal principles, should I be reading a textbook or
just ICZN and <whatever> for plants. If a textbook, which one?

Or even better, has someone already written this software?

Thanks
Bob Morris