parsing taxonomic rank

Mon Jun 25 07:12:14 CDT 2001

At 06:52 PM 6/22/01 -0400, you wrote:

>If I wish to have a good chance developing rules for the machine
>generation of the taxonomic rank of a taxon name based on Latin
>grammar or other formal principles, should I be reading a textbook or
>just ICZN and <whatever> for plants. If a textbook, which one?

The International Code of Botanical Nomenclature spells out the appropriate
suffices for each rank.  Those above the rank of order are only
recommendations (Recommendation 16A), those below are required (Art. 17,
18, 19).  Thus you know Rosales is the name of an order, Rosaceae, of a family.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA