parsing taxonomic rank

Robert A. (Bob) Morris ram at CS.UMB.EDU
Mon Jun 25 22:00:52 CDT 2001

Thanks.

Looking forward to your talk Wednesday in London. I'm on the program
too. You can see what we do at http://www.cs.umb.edu/efg. Some of the
demos there are broken as they are lonely for the three out of four of
my grad students who left in May. The main Electronic Field Guide
linked there is stabilized in its character-by-state form but the real
end-user interest is in a visual key which I hope we will have
resuscitated by Wednesday. The software interest in the entire system
comes from they way in which we use XML under the hood.
We're such XML enthusiasts that we wrote XML gateways to USDA Plants
and the Smithsonian MSW db's just to show it could be done...