Digitial Publication, etc.

Jim Croft jrc at ANBG.GOV.AU
Tue Jun 26 23:04:15 CDT 2001

> >Of course, no one has proven that CDs aren't ephemeral, so we're dealing
>with a double standard (by accepting CDs, >the Commission has implicitly
>removed "demonstrable permanence of medium" as a criterion
> >for valid publication).
>
>Yes, no one has yet lived 100 plus years to tell us whether "CD," are as
>permanent as "ink on paper," but we do know that no all "ink on paper" is
>permanent. We already have numerous publications rotting on our library
>shelves which are less than 100 years old.  So, there is "no double
>standard," because the ICZN does not reject publications printed on cheap
>paper.

CDs as a scientific publication medium are an evil transient dead end...

They have all of the confined straight-jacketed shortcomings of books and
printed matter (and a heap more besides)... and none of their redeeming
features...

The most useless waste of space in our library is its CD collection...

Put it on the web or put it on paper...

jim