Digitial Publication, etc.

STEPHEN MANNING SDMANNING at ASUB.ARKNET.EDU
Tue Jun 26 09:30:28 CDT 2001

Hello,

I think Chris makes an excellent point about the importance and uniqueness
of the concept of Priority for taxonomists/systematists.  I have often felt
that nomenclatural investigations are the tail that wags the taxonomic
dog.  I went into the field with the naive idea that it consisted mainly of
looking at and classifying organisms rather than shuffling through 18th and
19th century works which are scarcely accessible, scattered and unhealthy
for those with respiratory problems.  At a time when quite a few species
are going extinct every day we are poring through the ancient literature
and arguing the fine points in print or otherwise, maybe we should question
whether we have our "priorities" wrong.  How about proposing revisions to
the codes to make Priority, as presently conceived, expire after fifty
years or so?  Or at least have a newer start date? Those proposals are off
the top of my head, but the problem is not!  And whether the format is
electronic or paper is not the bottom line.

Steve Manning