Fwd: Digitial Publication, etc.

Robert A. (Bob) Morris ram at CS.UMB.EDU
Tue Jun 26 14:06:17 CDT 2001

If the publisher wishes it, providing for authentication of electronic
time stamps has the same difficulty---that is to say, minimal---as
authenticating any other piece of electronic information. The same
public key encryption that allows authentication of any other data
also allows the guarantee of the origin of a time stamp. Thus the
issue comes down to your trust in the source of the time stamp. That
is not different from the trust you place in a paper journal editor to
have the correct "Received on ..." date, or issue a meaningful
publication date on the journal.

It's difficult to imagine that questions of priority to the second---or
microsecond---in face of different electronic time authorities---are
very consequential in this context, but even those can be addressed
with pretty simple technology if the need and will exists to do so.
As a matter of fact, I suppose that a journal editor who received two
papers on the same day via post would be unwilling and unable to
assign priority to one of them over the other.

Bob Morris