Digital Publication

Robert A. (Bob) Morris ram at CS.UMB.EDU
Tue Jun 26 17:15:50 CDT 2001

Ummm, I would say http://http://www.itis.usda.gov/ is exactly what you
believe would take a miracle, and it has been publicly funded for
quite a few years in cooperation with its Canadian and now Mexican
partners. Although both the US and Canadian organizations are bound to
focus on organisms known in their countries, they have no requirement
to do so and seek contributions of other taxa. In addition, there are
no good reasons at all why ITIS has to have the entirety of the
data---never mind replications. It's likely that organizations like
GBIF and Species 2000 will ultimately agree on protocols for resource
discovery so that applications that don't find satisfactory taxonomy
at ITIS can find it at another source without seeking human
intervention.

Best of all, ITIS*ca and hopefully soon ITIS*us can serve XML which
makes it particularly easy to integrate their taxonomic data with
applications not having their own taxonomic data.

Bob Morris