digi a pub 2

Ron at Ron at
Wed Jun 27 01:49:51 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Yanega" <dyanega at POP.UCR.EDU>
Subject: Re: Digital Publication

> Ron Gatrelle wrote:
> >The internet is frail. It is a tool that is only as good as its
> >programmers, technicians, software etc, and as dependable as the
computer
> >manufacturers, local elcectric companies,  hook-up service providers,
> >ability to pay ones bill to Web page host, etc.  To be thinking about
> >a single location intrusted to...
>
> YOU are thinking about a single location, Ron, and that *is*
> ludicrous. Have you ever heard of a "mirror site"? Did you ever back
> up one of your files on a disk? You have to be thinking pretty small
> indeed to imagine - as you are - that a universal archive of every
> scientific paper on the planet would be maintained as only a single
> copy in a single location.

I was just responding to your statement of " a single, central,
interdisciplinary science archive."  Single, central, and archive are your
single tence words not mine.  Glad we agree it is ludicrous.

> Ron Gatrelle wrote:
> >What is needed is multiplicity - not simplicity.
>
> In other words, you don't EVER want to be able to do a search on the
> name of a taxon and simultaneously access all references ever made to
> it? You *prefer* having to spend weeks trying to track them all down,
> one by one, never sure if you've found them all?

Multiplicity of mechanical resources and access tools - books, CDs,
internet, audio tapes for the blind, and brail for the deaf. The vast
majority of people in our world are not on-line. As I said earlier, printed
matter as we now know it, will become a thing of antiquity and be replaced
by electronic media - in this you and I agree, Doug. Do we have what it
takes to implement this now - I say no. Eight tracts were here to stay too.

My dad was a "star" in the early days of radio and was one of the first
people to be broadcast "coast to coast" out of New York. I have some
records he and mom made in their personal recording studio in their home
way back in 1935.  These records are in fine shape. The problem is that
there
are no accessable turntables today large enough or at the speed to play
them. Cutting edge technology has a way of becoming very dull as quickly as
the next slice.

Ron