Job Vacancy at Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew

Mark Jackson m.jackson at RBGKEW.ORG.UK
Mon Oct 1 08:18:07 CDT 2001

Dear Taxacom,

A job vacancy members of the list may be interested in:

"An equal opportunities employer.

Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, house the most comprehensive living
plant collection in the world and attract over one million visitors
each year.

Data Standards Officer

Three year fixed term appointment
Salary up to £21,373 plus terminal bonus

As part of our many developments, we are embarking on an
exciting new project - electronic Plant Information Centre (ePIC).
Over three years, ePIC will bring together a range of data
resources, ranging from heterogeneous databases to images and
text, and present them as a cohesive whole.

You will assess and select data standards, specifically plant
names and geography, and apply them to our data resources. This
will include establishing, with synonymy, a plant names list,
liaising with varied external and internal resources, particularly
colleagues in taxonomy and nomenclature.

An understanding of taxonomy and nomenclature would be an
advantage, as would a more general understanding of botanical
data and its uses. You should be comfortable with using software
tools to analyse and manipulate data holdings and possess good
interpersonal skills.

Our outstanding range of benefits include flexi working, a mainly
non-contributory pension scheme, a 36 hour week, generous
annual leave and a stunning work environment.

Apply to the Personnel Department, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew,
Richmond, Surrey TW9 3AB. Tel: 020 8332 5184/5150 (24 hour).
Email: jobs at rbgkew.org.uk Please quote the job reference 1159.
Closing date: 19th October 2001."

Mark Jackson
Applications Development Manager