Plants on the web

Robert A. (Bob) Morris ram at CS.UMB.EDU
Fri Oct 5 09:38:45 CDT 2001

Consider google's new beta image search facility www.image.google.com
Pay attention to the tabs at the top of the result page, which switch
between thumbnail lists and descriptive texts. Of course, the usual
problem of too many hits applies, but searching on the scientific name
of a not well-studied species will often bring satisfactory results.

Of course, this will not bring results that are behind database
applications, which is where the most interesting stuff lies. For this
some more sophisticated information discovery mechanisms are required,
which by and large don't yet exist. There are a number of
efforts underway to produce such for biodiversity data.

Bob