gymnosperm classification

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 8 11:11:27 CDT 2001

Elaine,
     I'm not a botanist, but my experience has been that Class Pinopsida has
more frequent usage than Coniferopsida.
     As for the phylum (division) name for gymnosperms, I personally prefer
Phylum Pinophyta (which is widely used) over the older Gymnospermae (still
often used), and would prefer either of these over Coniferophyta.
           --- Cheers,  Ken