Sister genus of Achanthus

Lai-Lai Teo lailaiteo at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 9 17:39:29 CDT 2001

Dear all,

A friend of mine is studying the phylogenetic relatiohship between three
Acanthus species growing in tropical mangrove swamp. According to the
literature, Thunbergia and Mendoncia are the near outgroup. Mendoncia is not
readily available at our place and she is left with Thunbergia. However,
according to the literature, the sister group relationship of Thunbergia is
not strongly supported based on molecular data of chloroplast and nuclear
DNA. Somebody suggested Ruellia, but we do not have do not have much
information on the relatioship between Acanthus and Ruellia. Is it a must to
use the nearest sister group as an outgroup for phylogenetic analysis? How
would different outgroups affect the phylogenetic trees produced?

Your advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Lai-Lai Teo
Project Officer (Research)
National Institute of Education
Nanyang Technological University