outgroup to Acanthus

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 9 10:30:55 CDT 2001

      I think Ruellia would probably make a  better outgroup than either
Thunbergia or Mendoncia (Thunbergiaceae and Mendonciaceae are sometimes
split off as separate families from Acanthaceae).  As far I can tell,
subfamilies Acanthoideae and Ruellioideae are more closely related,
therefore making Ruellia a better choice.
      However, if you have the extra time and resources, you might want to
consider using more than one outgroup.  You might want to use a genus from
subfamily Acanthoideae if available.  I would guess that very good results
might be obtained by using one outgroup from Ruellioideae (e.g. Ruellia) and
perhaps two genera from Acanthoideae.  You could combine them all in one
analysis, or one outgroup at a time (or ideally all of the above).  If all
analyses show the same result, you could have very strong confidence in that
result.  But even just using Ruellia as a single outgroup should probably
give you pretty reliable results (more so than Thunbergia, which does not
look like an ideal choice for outgroup in my opinion).  But I do not have a
strong botany background, so I would certainly advise you to get other
opinions.
       --- Hope this helps,  Ken Kinman