Problems importing specimens

James Kruse fnjjk1 at UAF.EDU
Tue Oct 9 11:27:35 CDT 2001

on 10/9/01 10:20 AM, Sally Shelton at Shelton.Sally at NMNH.SI.EDU wrote:

> I have had definite confirmations from at least two persons that tried/planned
> to hand-carry pinned insect specimens into the USA and were forbidden to do
> so.  One was on British Airways and the other from Costa Rica via American
> Airlines.
>
> We would appreciate some way of finding out if there is some policy against
> bringing pinned insect specimens into the USA on board because the 1.5 inch
> very thin insect pins are considered as "dangerous weapons".  This is a
> serious concern for entomologists who routinely hand-carry important, valuable
> specimens in order to protect them from the postal systems.

As if specimen imports need to be made _more_ difficult. Was that really the
reason behind forbidding those imports?

I thought I heard it all with the banning of plastic knives and fingernail
clippers. This 'zero tolerance' idiocy _can_ be taken to higher highs...

Of course you could much more easily kill with a pencil or a pen. I suppose
those should be banned too.

James J. Kruse, Ph.D.
Curator of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum