Problems importing specimens

Ron at Ron at
Tue Oct 9 16:17:08 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Kruse" <fnjjk1 at UAF.EDU>
To: <TAXACOM at USOBI.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 3:27 PM
Subject: Re: Problems importing specimens

> > I have had definite confirmations from at least two persons that
tried/planned
> > to hand-carry pinned insect specimens into the USA and were forbidden
to do
> > so.  One was on British Airways and the other from Costa Rica via
American
> > Airlines.
> >
> > We would appreciate some way of finding out if there is some policy
against
> > bringing pinned insect specimens into the USA on board because the 1.5
inch
> > very thin insect pins are considered as "dangerous weapons".  This is a
> > serious concern for entomologists who routinely hand-carry important,
valuable
> > specimens in order to protect them from the postal systems.
>
> As if specimen imports need to be made _more_ difficult. Was that really
the
> reason behind forbidding those imports?
>
> I thought I heard it all with the banning of plastic knives and
fingernail
> clippers. This 'zero tolerance' idiocy _can_ be taken to higher highs...
>
> Of course you could much more easily kill with a pencil or a pen. I
suppose
> those should be banned too.
>
> James J. Kruse, Ph.D.

The most dangerous weapons are human hands trained in martial arts.  Will
we now see a new meaning to "hands off  policy"?  There are no guarantees
in life - except death and taxes.   I know, we want serious answers here to
the original question.  I just couldn't resist.

Ron Gatrelle
http://www.tils-ttr.org