Problems importing insect pins

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 9 23:03:58 CDT 2001

LOL,
     It hard to see anyone being intimidated by a hijacker wielding a
1.5-inch insect pin.  It's so absurd, I would think the government regulator
who dreamed up that one would become the butt of some appropriate jokes
(What was he thinking?).
     But since getting rid of such regulations (once they are "on the
books") is rather difficult and slow, couldn't entomologists remove the pins
and just pack the insect specimens in plastic wrap, perhaps surrounded by
cotton balls or other soft material?   We biologists should know best how to
"adapt" to such changing conditions.
            --------Ken Kinman
P.S.   I think I heard that ball-point pens were banned on some flights.
Not that pencils and pens would personally make me nervous, but they seem
far more a threat than insect pins.  If insect pins are "dangerous" then
what next?---ban all books and paper, since a paper cut could get infected?
  I'd much rather have an entomologist with pinned insects next to me, than
someone coughing and sneezing unhealthy germs into my air supply in such a
confined space.  If he threatens me with an insect pin, I think I can handle
that without too much trouble.  I could even counter-threaten to bite off
his ear or beat him with my shoe.