Registration in Zoology

christian thompson cthompson at SEL.BARC.USDA.GOV
Thu Oct 11 13:36:38 CDT 2001

Zoologists rejected registration as they want the freedom to publish new
taxon names where ever they want (except the Internet) with the
responsibility for finding where they hid those names being some one
else's.

Our draft proposal called for zoologists to ensure that their work was
indexed by the Zoological Record so at least other workers would know what
new taxa were being described and where. However, a majority of zoologists
strongly felt it is not their responsibility to help others find their work.
And the responsibility of seeing that the Zoological Record (which does scan
thousands of serials) got a copy of their work was too much!

This irresponsibility of some is another reason why the rest of Science
isn't willing to invest in taxonomy & nomenclature. Other biologists build
community tools, like GenBank, etc., many taxonomists hid away in their own
worlds, fighting to maintain their isolation.

Oh, well ...

Barry wrote:
----------

> At 11:32 AM -0400 10/11/01, Derek Sikes wrote:
>> ...If we could assign arbitrary, unique numbers to every original
combination
> ... We can dream, can't we?
>
> This brings us to the notion of registering new names, at which time a
> unique identifier could be attached.  Of course, this concept has been
so
> far rejected by the community. - Barry

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the registration idea was rejected because it
required registration & the assignment of a number as part of the criteria
for valid publication, no?

Derek
Derek Sikes
Dept. of Ecology and Evol. Biology U-43
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269  USA

FAX: 860-486-6364

dss95002 at uconnvm.uconn.edu
http://viceroy.eeb.uconn.edu/sikes

"Remember that Truth alone is the matter you are in Search after; and if
you
have been mistaken, let no Vanity reduce you to persist in your mistake."
Henry Baker, London, 1785