unique numbers for species

Panza, Robin PanzaR at CARNEGIEMUSEUMS.ORG
Fri Oct 12 09:12:26 CDT 2001

>>>From: Doug Yanega [mailto:dyanega at POP.UCR.EDU]
Schonherr and Schoenherr, Low and Loew, and numerous other authors
who appear in multiple incarnations (and some of these may not even
*be* the same person; I'm not 100% certain). <<<<

Not to mention those who began their career as "Jr." and dropped it when dad
died, like W.W. Brown, Jr. and W.W. Brown.

>>>Assign a permanent number to each name associated with type material, and
you
get one-to-one mapping.<<<<

Only until someone starts splitting and lumping taxa.  Then there can be 2
numbers for one taxon, or one number for 2 taxa.  Then there's the situation
when the original description was a type *series*, which turns out to be
multiple taxa!  Sorry, Doug, but I think it's all pie-in-the-sky.  Every
problem with name (whether you include author, date, page, line number,
whatever) is applicable to an assigned number.  Until we have the ultimate
taxonomy with all the answers, there will be fluidity of designation, and no
stable designation scheme will cover all the quirks.  But then, I'm a
pessimist.

just call me Eeyore,

Robin K Panza                         panzar at carnegiemuseums.org
Collection Manager, Section of Birds          ph:  412-622-3255
Carnegie Museum of Natural History       fax: 412-622-8837
4400 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh  PA  15213-4008  USA