names & numbers

Jean-Michel MAES jmmaes at IBW.COM.NI
Sat Oct 13 19:10:54 CDT 2001

Dear Jim and friends of the list,

I read the messages about codes as a remplacement of names. I feel that this
topic has been managed times to times in different lists and obviously never
reach to a solution.

I remember that in some beetles catalogue in Central Europe, the autor use a
code for the species, joint to the name (of course). That could be a
solution ?

I guess that if you put only codes, nobody will follow it. for diffrent
reasons. The main reason could be that a simple character error will
transform a species in a totally different one with no way to see the
mistake. Just have a look at the lots of errors in the names used for some
common insects. Using codes will be the same, machine are free of errors but
not typist entering the losts of codes. Just try, as a bad example, to
remember the names of 10 entomologists, ok, now try to remember they phone
nummer, see it, not easy. They have probably the same quantity of character
in their names as figures in the phone nummer but it's not so evident.
Normally in the family of plant or animals you study, you have in mind 200
or 300 names commonly used, I am not so shure you can put such quantities of
codes.

If someone want to begin with a coded system, a good transition could be the
use of both names and codes.

The other point is that I do not see why putting nummers or codes, as a name
is logically organized but not in a mathematical order except if you apply a
phylogeny to do it. Seeing the big discussion aroud results of phylogeny
works, I think we are not really ready to do that.

Sincerely,

Jean-Michel.

Dr. Jean-Michel MAES
MUSEO ENTOMOLOGICO