names & numbers

Tue Oct 16 09:04:12 CDT 2001

> We have this situation in bacteriology at present where the
> species A.b is placed in genus C. by X et al. 2000 and in genus D. by Y et
> al. 2000.

NAME table
Name    Rank
----------------
A       Genus
b       Species
C       Genus
D       Genus

REFERENCE table
Citation
--------------
OrigDescr, 1999
X et al. 2000
Y et al. 2000

ASSERTION table
ID      Citation                Name    Parent
------------------------------------
1       OrigDescr, 1999 b       A
2       X et al. 2000   b       C
3       Y et al. 2000   b       D

> Both names are "CURRRENT" and according to a particular
> (current)
> taxonomic opinion both are "CORRECT".

The ASSERTION table tracks all possible calssifications.  There are many
ways to document which Assertions are regarded as "Correct", and by whom. As
Jim made clear, the difficulty is in capturing all the meaningful assertions
in the database.

> Bacteriology does have a
> system of registering names which means we have complete listed of all new
> names or new combinations.

Can you point me to the website for the registering organization?

Aloha,
Rich

Richard L. Pyle
Ichthyology, Bishop Museum
1525 Bernice St., Honolulu, HI 96817
Ph: (808)848-4115, Fax: (808)847-8252
email: deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
"The views expressed are the author's, and not necessarily those of Bishop
Museum."