More on Biogeographic memory

Pierre Deleporte Pierre.Deleporte at UNIV-RENNES1.FR
Wed Oct 17 14:41:25 CDT 2001

At 08:07 17/10/2001 -0400, John Grehan wrote:

>Perhaps I misunderstood your description of ecological screening. I took
>the interpretation that ecological screening involved different track
>analysis for groups in different ecological categories.

Could be. I just meant "taking ecological differences into consideration"
some way.

>Panbiogeography as I understand it certainly does not preclude
>such an approach.

Well noted.

>Heads (1983) pointed out how tracks of coastal marine fishes in the Pacific
>showed tracks paralleling terrestrial organisms on various Pacific islands
>(eg. the classic Hawaii-Rapa connection).

Nice example: "marine" may be considered ecologically heterogeneous
regarding some biogeographical problems, and "coastal" could go with
"insulary", to the difference of "pelagic".
Ecological screening anyway, and no problem for me, to the contrary!

Pierre