Science and Creationism

John R. Grehan jrg13 at PSU.EDU
Tue Apr 2 09:59:47 CST 2002

It was pointed out to me that I forgot to give the full citation of the book
to which I was referring to. My apologies for the oversight. Here it is:

Science and Creationism: A view from the National Academy of Sciences.
1999. Second Edition. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.

There is quite a section on molecular biology as "new evidence" and
presentation of the molecular clock as an unproblematic contribution
establishing the facts of divergence. It also represents genes as superior
to other characters in determining relationships. Needless to say,
systematic theory really does not figure into the evolutionary picture as
far as the Academy is concerned.

Another item I found interesting (with apologies as I do realize that most
of what I find 'interesting' is not interesting for the majority of
evolutionists) about the book is that the recommended readings are largely,
if not wholly, storytelling accounts of evolution. Again, a lack of
developing evolution as a research methodology. I think it is this
avoidance of presenting and teaching evolutionary theory in terms of
research methodology that intrigues me the most about the
institutionalization of evolution. This is not something confined to the US
as I also experienced the same phenomenon in New Zealand. It appears to be
a worldwide phenomenon that is perhaps condoned as a way of maintaining the
influence of Darwinian evolutionary biology. At least that's my current
speculation (theory).

John Grehan
Frost Entomological Museum
Pennsylvania State University