Botanical nomenclatural query

Wed Apr 3 07:13:24 CST 2002

At 02:38 PM 4/2/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I think the point the OP is asking about now is this:  given the
>taxon has a new rank (species) in addition to a new name, why is
>the taxon not a new species?

Quite simply, because it is NOT a new species.

To elaborate, it is NOT a species that was previously unknown to science
and never before described.  The phrase "new species" means "new as in
never before seen," not "newly arrived in this rank."  This taxon HAS been
known and HAS been described.  It was merely assigned a rank different from
species at the time this was done.

If I am promoted from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor, no one
would regard me as a new employee of the university, would they?  If my
colleague marries and takes her husband's surname, we would not consider
her a new employee, would we?  Old Wine in New Skins.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu
phone:      920-424-1002
fax:           920-424-1101

Plant systematics; classification, nomenclature, evolution, and biogeography
of the Campanulaceae s. lat.

Webpages: