Botanical nomenclatural query

Wed Apr 3 08:02:44 CST 2002

At 05:25 PM 4/3/02 +0000, erast wrote:

>   Personally, I always (if possible) combined a variety, when it was
> assigned as a species, indicating the original author of the taxon in
> parentheses.  It is a question of ethics, I think. Why it is as it is in
> the  ICBN,  I cannot understand.

Let's say it was in the Code, that Rec. 24B.2 was a Rule.

To get around it, to in effect change the epithet upon changing rank, I
simply describe a new species, based on its own type, and cite the variety
as a synonym.  Now, instead of one nomenclatural entity, we have two, each
typified by its own type.  Perhaps some see that as good and proper, each
epithet with a type, or perhaps others see it as an unneccessary
proliferation.  I can see both viewpoints, frankly.

Whatever the case, it would STILL be possible to change the epithet upon
changing rank if the Recommendation was a Rule.  Only by deleting the Rule
that says names have priority only within a rank could you get around it,
and THAT would cause nomenclatural chaos of Biblical proportions.

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu
phone:      920-424-1002
fax:           920-424-1101

Plant systematics; classification, nomenclature, evolution, and biogeography
of the Campanulaceae s. lat.

Webpages: