Islands, Science and Creationism

Les Kaufman lesk at BU.EDU
Wed Apr 3 09:05:46 CST 2002

somewhere along the way here I've definitely missed something.  It is
sufficiently vexing that resolution will require that I reveal my own ignorance.

a. methodology aside (and semantics as well!) are you saying that the
Galapagos were for some period of time in touch with some other large,
emergent land mass?
b. Is it somehow parsimonious to assume that the Hawaiian islands were
at some time in the past in contact with another land mass (not just an
island on an adjacent microplate that happened to be in line to run over
the hot spot)?

If the answer to a is yes, then you are right, that certainly modifies
our view of evolution in the Galapagos.  It is then important that we
(almost) all of us change the things that we are teaching.

If the answer to b is yes, then we have to have a debate over scientific
method, not WHICH scientific method is to be applied.

--
Les Kaufman
Biology Department
lesk at bu.edu