Botanical nomenclatural query

Dipteryx dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Wed Apr 3 16:46:01 CST 2002

This is a technicality only, but citing the variety as synonym will make the
new name illegitimate (Art 52.2.e). I suppose the thing to do is describe a
new species and later be surprised that the variety is synonymous. But then,
alas, it will be too late!

Best, Paul van Rijckevorsel

+ + +

> Let's say it was in the Code, that Rec. 24B.2 was a Rule.
>
> To get around it, to in effect change the epithet upon changing rank, I
> simply describe a new species, based on its own type, and cite the variety
> as a synonym.  Now, instead of one nomenclatural entity, we have two, each
> typified by its own type.  Perhaps some see that as good and proper, each
> epithet with a type, or perhaps others see it as an unneccessary
> proliferation.  I can see both viewpoints, frankly.
>
> Whatever the case, it would STILL be possible to change the epithet upon
> changing rank if the Recommendation was a Rule.  Only by deleting the Rule
> that says names have priority only within a rank could you get around it,
> and THAT would cause nomenclatural chaos of Biblical proportions.
>

> Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.
>
> Assistant Professor and Curator of the Herbarium (OSH)
> Department of Biology and Microbiology
> University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
> Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA
>
> e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu
> phone:      920-424-1002
> fax:           920-424-1101
>
> Plant systematics; classification, nomenclature, evolution, and
biogeography
> of the Campanulaceae s. lat.
>
> Webpages:
> http://www.uwosh.edu/departments/biology/Lammers.htm
> http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Resort/7156/lammers.html
> http://www.uwosh.edu/departments/biology/herbarium/herbarium.html
> "Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that stood his ground."
>                                                                --
Anonymous