Botanical nomenclatural query

Michael Vincent vincenma at MUOHIO.EDU
Wed Apr 3 10:14:10 CST 2002

Well, I know I said this should stop, but this message had to be
refuted!  The species name would not be illegitimate under Art. 52, since
that would only pertain to an epithet AT THE SAME RANK.  Publishing a
species name with a varietal name cited in synonymy cannot affect the
validity of the species name.

M.A. Vincent