Science and Creationism

John R. Grehan jrg13 at PSU.EDU
Thu Apr 4 15:33:20 CST 2002

>Historians can only project into
>the future what might be found in the way of evidence that discounts one
>causal event in lieu of some other causal event.

I don't quite concur with this. Croizat, as a historical biogeographer,
made predictions about the present (not the future) based on historical
models about the past.

>The differences between
>the historian and experimenter are matters of temporal scale and ability to
>manipulate.

The trouble with experimental testing' is that some philosophers of
science, such as Lakatos, have argued that this technique can be applied in
fields not conventionally regarded as 'science' so testing is not that
helpful as a criterion.

John Grehan

John Grehan
Frost Entomological Museum