Position National Herbarium of the Netherlands, Utrecht University branch
Fri Apr 5 03:19:21 CST 2002
NATIONAAL HERBARIUM NEDERLAND
Utrecht University Branch
The National Herbarium of the Netherlands (NHN) is an inter-university
institute of the Universities of Utrecht, Leiden, and Wageningen with a
collection of over 5.5 million specimens of phanerogams and cryptogams from
the Neo- and Paleotropics and Europe, and a plant biodiversity research
programme including floristic, taxonomic, phylogenetic, biogeographic, and
molecular evolutionary studies. Staff members are involved in university
teaching programmes in biodiversity, taxonomy, phylogeny, and evolutionary
biology at the level of Bachelor and Masters. For the Utrecht University
branch of the NHN, we invite applications for the position of a
Assistant Professor (tenure track)
The successful applicant is expected to:
- carry out biodiversity research focussed on the (Neo)tropics, fitting the
research priorities of the NHN, in particular the Flora of the Guianas
- teach undergraduate courses in biodiversity and evolutionary biology,
part of the Faculty of Biology curriculum.
- participate in collecting, preserving, documenting, identifying and
- supervise Ph.D. and M.Sc. students in the NHN, both intramural and in the
- be involved in management tasks in the NHN.
* a Ph.D. in plant systematics, biogeography, or related fields.
* a demonstrable teaching record
* substantial fieldwork experience, preferably in the (Neo)tropics
* skills with software tools to analyse and manipulate data holdings
* a thorough understanding of phylogenetics and molecular systematics
* a demonstrable skill seeking grant funding for research.
* good interpersonal skills
* fluent control of the Dutch language
We offer a temporary appointment of 2 years with the prospect of a permanent
position thereafter. The salary being commensurate with the qualifications
of the candidate and in accordance with Dutch national regulations to a
maximum of 4325,- gross per month.
Further information about this position can be obtained from prof.
P.J.M. Maas (e-mail: p.j.m.maas at bio.uu.nl), dr. J. Koek-Noorman (e-mail:
j.koek-noorman at bio.uu.nl) or prof. P. Baas (e-mail:
baas at nhn.leidenuniv.nl). For general information on the Utrecht
University Branch of the National Herbarium visit our website at
Applications with a full CV, names and contact information of three
references, and an outline of future research plans should be addressed
within three weeks to
Faculty of Biology
Personnel & Organization department
Attn. Mrs. I. Pasman
3508 TB Utrecht
With reference to vacancy 66211
More information about the Taxacom