subsequent designation of paratypes

Ron at Ron at
Fri Apr 5 10:06:12 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "christian thompson" <cthompson at sel.barc.usda.gov>
To: <gatrelle at TILS-TTR.ORG>; <TAXACOM at USOBI.ORG>
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: subsequent designation of paratypes

> And WHO cares?
>
> Types are nomenclatural anchors. The ICZN clearly states this and
regulates
> only Holotype, Lectotype, Neotype and Syntypes (and yes, those
> Hapantotypes). Allotypes and Paratypes have nothing to do with
nomenclature
> and are nothing more than glorified vouchers. So, why worry whether they
are
> "paratypes" or not, the important issue is that they are VOUCHERs
identified
> by the original author. Be sure to label them as such.

The Code cares.   Which is why paratypes and paralectotypes are mentioned
in the ZN Code.  Why are they mentioned?  Because they have official
status.  Why is that?  Because in the absence (or future destruction) of a
holotype they are (become) syntypes and from there lectotypes - including
paralectotypes.   Without paratypes there are no, and can be no syntypes or
lectotypes after a holotype is destroyed/lost (if a new "type" is called
for).  Then we have to go to neotypification.   All syntypes are are
paratypes (specimens mentioned in the OD) that are such only in the absence
of a holotype.  And all a lectotype is is an elevated syntype.

If they are not relevant and have no use (who cares) why did you keep (deal
with and delineate) them in the current Code?  I think your comment was
flippant.
Pluss, you are flat out wrong.  You say "Allotypes and Paratypes have
nothing to do with nomenclature."  The only allotypes are "not regulated by
the Code."  Paratypes are (73D).

In respectful disagreement.
Ron Gatrelle