subsequent designation of paratypes

Andrew Smith asmith at UNLSERVE.UNL.EDU
Fri Apr 5 09:09:08 CST 2002

Dear Barry,

I would say that if there is no evidence that the "paratypes" were
examined by the author for the original description then they should
not be considered as part of the type series.  If you do find
evidence (published or unpublished) that the specimens were examined
for the original description then they are indeed paratypes (see
Article 72.4.1.1).  No explicit designation is needed in descriptions
published before 2000.

I would not presume that the "paratype" specimens were examined by
the author when writing the original descriptions unless you have
evidence that this occurred.  Many older authors  had a habit of
designating types after the fact!

Sincerely,
Andrew

--