subsequent designation of paratypes

christian thompson cthompson at SEL.BARC.USDA.GOV
Fri Apr 5 10:21:21 CST 2002

Sorry, Ron, but you should read the CODE.

Paratypes, paralectotypes, etc. have NO status as nomenclatural types.  If
the primary types (holo-, lecto-, neo-, syntypes) are lost, then ANY
specimen may be selected as a NEOTYPE. And once a paratype, paralectotype,
etc., the  specimen remain as such, they DO NOT become syntypes if the
primary type(s) are lost! They may become a neotype if selected, but nothing
more.

Yes, the current edition of the Code remains poorly written in this regard.
Yes, by mentioning secondary types the Code does semm to imply that they may
be of some importance, but its regulations clearly indicate that they have
NO nomenclatural significant. Their significance is only a taxonomic
vouchers. I can only hope that the next group who revises the ICZN eliminate
all mention of these secondary types as clearly people mis-read the current
Code.

Oh, well ... It is Friday...

Cheers