Categories between Family and Genus: Zoology only

Riaan Stals VREHRS at PLANT5.AGRIC.ZA
Fri Apr 5 17:40:25 CST 2002

On 5 Apr 2002 at 9:42, christian thompson wrote:

> I would like to know whether people use additional categories for
> family-group names and what ending they used.

The chrysomelidologists use a category "Section", and the standardised ending is
"-ites". It is unclear to me, however, whether this category is used below that of
subtribe, or instead of that of subtribe.

Hence Chrysomelidae: Galerucinae: Galerucini: Galerucites contains the genus
Galeruca Muller, but there is apparently no such thing as a subtribe 'Galerucina'.

See Seeno, T.N. & Wilcox, J.A. 1982. Leaf Beetle Genera. Entomography 1: 1-221.

Can somebody explain this to me?

RIAAN

RIAAN STALS
VREHRS at PLANT5.AGRIC.ZA

South African National Collection of Insects
ARC - Plant  Protection  Research  Institute
Private Bag X134  Pretoria 0001 South Africa
Voice +27-12-323-8540    Fax +27-12-325-6998