Categories between Family and Genus: Zoology only

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 5 10:22:53 CST 2002

     Starobogatov is one advocate of numerous standardized endings, but I
don't know that he ever proposed anything for family group names (just
phylum, class, and order group names).
     But extrapolating from his proposed endings in those other groups, I
would guess he might use "-inei" for Infrafamily.  I doubt that he would
approve of "-idi" for supertribe.
     Of course, I obviously think we should use *fewer* intermediate ranks
rather than more.  I prefer alphanumeric coding, but another possibility
would be informal groupings of tribes or subfamilies, like the "W-ini/X-ini"
group and the "Y-ini/Z-ini" group.  You can actually use these kinds of
groupings to give informal names when using coded classifications.  Creative
ways to stem the explosion of "formal" names will go a long way toward
easing future nomenclatural problems and inefficiency.
               ---- Ken Kinman