Academy of Sciences book

Richard Zander rhzander at SCIENCEBUFF.ORG
Mon Apr 8 12:26:31 CDT 2002

Well, for the mitochondrial data set that comes with PAUP, a simple analysis
gives shared advances states as:
Homo-Pan 19
Homo-Gorilla 11
Gorilla-Pan 14

This is not informative by nonparametric tests at, say, 95% reliability.
Satta et al. reviewed molecular studies and found, of 45 loci:
Homo-Pan 23
Homo-Gorilla 8
Gorilla-Pan 8
Homo-Gorilla-Pan 6

This is informative, and the Mr. Chimp is apparently our brother.
I reviewed this in Syst. Biol. 50: 425-437, 2001.

The proportion of 36/14/17 does not constitute separate categories, so a
calculation of reliability cannot be done.

---------
From:
Richard H. Zander
Emeritus Curator of Botany
Clinton Herbarium
FNA Editorial Center at Buffalo

The Buffalo Museum of Science
1020 Humboldt Pkwy
Buffalo, NY 14211 USA

email: rhzander at sciencebuff.org
voice: 716-896-5200 x 351   FAX: 716-897-6723
home: http://www.buffalomuseumofscience.org/div_botany.html
BFNA home: http://www.buffalomuseuofscience/BFNA/BFNAmenu.htm
FNA home: http://hua.huh.harvard.edu/FNA/