Oragnutan relationships

John R. Grehan jrg13 at PSU.EDU
Mon Apr 8 13:21:21 CDT 2002

At 12:26 PM 4/8/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, for the mitochondrial data set that comes with PAUP, a simple analysis
>gives shared advances states as:
>Homo-Pan 19
>Homo-Gorilla 11
>Gorilla-Pan 14
>
>This is not informative by nonparametric tests at, say, 95% reliability.
>Satta et al. reviewed molecular studies and found, of 45 loci:
>Homo-Pan 23
>Homo-Gorilla 8
>Gorilla-Pan 8
>Homo-Gorilla-Pan 6
>
>This is informative, and the Mr. Chimp is apparently our brother.
>I reviewed this in Syst. Biol. 50: 425-437, 2001.
>From:
>Richard H. Zander

I do not have the paper to hand so I will check it out. However, the
comparisons cited above do not include the orangutan so I do not see how
they bear on the orangutan relationship.

Also, how does one respond to the criticism that molecular synapomorphy is
identified a posteriori after the phylogeny is generated?

I will see what can be done about running the morphological characters
through an analysis.

John Grehan