Fragments of types, Isotypes?

Wed Apr 10 17:00:10 CDT 2002

I believe such things have been called "cleptotypes" -- though you won't
find that term in the Code.

I prefer to denote these (and BTW photographs of types) in the following way:

Holotype: MO! (fragment: F!; photo: B! E! F!); isotypes: B! C! E!
(fragment: UC! US!) GH! ... etc.

In this way, the origin of these scraps is made clear.

At 04:54 PM 4/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear taxacomers:
>
>While studying Aciotis (Melastomataceae) and Saxifragaceae s.l. from Ecuador
>I have come across with specimens/microfiches from several herbaria (e.g.
>BR, F, GH, G-DC) that are only fragments of the type (usually a leaf, or a
>fragment of an inflorescence). Should I consider these as isotypes?
>
>Thank you very much.
>
>Alina
>*****
>Alina Freire-Fierro
>Missouri Botanical Garden
>P.O. Box 299
>St. Louis, MO 63166-0299, USA
>Phone: (314) 577-9535; Fax: (314) 577-0830
>E-mails:<alina.freire at mobot.org><aff at joethejuggler.com><alina_ff at yahoo.com>

Thomas G. Lammers, Ph.D.

Department of Biology and Microbiology
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901-8640 USA

e-mail:       lammers at uwosh.edu
phone:      920-424-1002
fax:           920-424-1101

Plant systematics; classification, nomenclature, evolution, and biogeography
of the Campanulaceae s. lat.

Webpages: