Oragnutan relationships

Fri Apr 12 08:19:58 CDT 2002

> Whatever position one may take on which phylogeny is more correct, the
> multiplicity of views regarding hominid phylogeny shows the serious
> deficiency of presenting evolutionary theory as a doctrine of beliefs.
>
> John Grehan

I'm not sure I understand your point.  The fact that there is disagreement among
vertebrate systematists on the exact pattern of relationships among the great apes
is not relevant to criticisms of the tenets of modern evolutionary biology.
Phylogenies can only be estimated by methods of data description and analysis that
we assume to be appropriate for constructing hypotheses.  If we threw out our
theoretical models every time independent researchers disagreed on particular
instances, then we would have no theories.

Again, am I missing something here?

Cheers,
Dick

--
Richard J. Jensen              TEL: 219-284-4674
Department of Biology      FAX: 219-284-4716
Saint Mary's College         E-mail: rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Notre Dame, IN  46556     http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rjensen