Oragnutan relationships

John R. Grehan jrg13 at PSU.EDU
Fri Apr 12 12:52:14 CDT 2002

>reasonable, in order to see if it works.  In other words, some people might
>use the "center of origin" concept and, finding it useful, continue with it
>even in the absence of proper evidence.
>
>Robin K Panza

Agreed. Some people (not me) also find the flat earth theory 'useful' and
continue with it even in the absence of 'proper" evidence.

******************

 From Dick

"I'm not sure I understand your point. The fact that there is disagreement
among
vertebrate systematists on the exact pattern of relationships among the
great apes
is not relevant to criticisms of the tenets of modern evolutionary biology.

The point I was making was that the Academy was presenting a view as if it
were the fact or model when in actual fact it was not.

Again, am I missing something here?"

My view (minority of one probably) is that it is a mistake to present and
teach evolution as a doctrine. The Academy states that evolution is the
only "scientific' explanation for why the universe is the way it is today.
This is presenting evolution as a "scientific" doctrine of truth, creating
a dichotomy between what is science and what is not. There is nothing in
the booklet that gives any indication of what is the science of evolution,
just a whole series of assertions about the truth of the universe. I have
noticed in all other biological disciplines, and the disciplines of
chemistry and physics, the 'science' of those disciplines is not the models
('truths') they generate (e.g. Krebs cycle, the structure of an atom etc),
but the methodological process of the research programs that generate the
models that themselves are used to gain greater insight into those
processes being investigated. When it comes to the 'science' of evolution
this emphasis seems to be dropped in favor of arguing universal truths with
creationists. After reading the book I had no clue as to what was the
science of evolution. And from what I have seen of this book and other
examples of evolution being taught in schools (including my experience in
New Zealand) its no wonder so many people are skeptical. It is my view
(again probably a minority of one) that much of the problem with evolution
is generated by the way evolutionists and associated educators want to
focus on doctrine.

John Grehan

John Grehan
Frost Entomological Museum