marine aquatic plants

Paul Hargraves pharg at GSOSUN1.GSO.URI.EDU
Fri Apr 12 15:36:03 CDT 2002

taxacomers,
I am in the midst of analyzing microalgal epiphyte distributions on a
series of marine aquatic plants from the Indian River Lagoon on the east
coast of Florida.  Many of the microalgal epiphytes are often described as
'cosmopolitan' but it is unclear whether they are widespread historically,
or are introduced (invasive, exotic, nonindigenous, whatever).[In other
words, there is perhaps a distinct timeline component to cosmopolitanism].
I would like to pursue this, but most herbaria that have searchable
websites list neither the species nor locations in which I am interested.
Therefore, I am asking for help in locating herbarium specimens
(hopefully, with their epiphytic diatoms) of these species:

Halodule wrightii (shoal grass)
Ruppia maritima (widgeon grass)
Syringodium filiforme (manatee grass)
Thalassia testudinum (turtle grass)

I'm looking for collection dates prior to 1940 in particular.

The geographic locations may be towns along the Indian River system, such
as Jupiter, Stuart, Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce, Vero Beach, Sebastian,
Melbourne, Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral,Titusville.
The counties involved are: Volusia, Brevard, Indian River, St. Lucie and
Martin.

I'm sure there are a number of herbaria with data banks not yet on the
web, and I would be grateful for any possibilities. I am aiming at future
research funding.

Thanks to all respondants
PEH

Paul E. Hargraves