Islands, Science and Creationism

Geoff Read g.read at NIWA.CRI.NZ
Mon Apr 15 14:18:49 CDT 2002

John Grehan:

> [...] the geological evidence I presented in the Galapagos article suggests
> that historical contact with other lands by ancestral Galapagos did indeed
> occur.

However, a fairly recent article* has current 'ancestral Galapagos' contact
with the current Americas via long-submerged drowned (>1000m deep)
'land' on the Cocos Ridge and thus this particular process would not be of
value to aid terrestrial biogeographic analyses.  Sure it's interesting to
speculate  if eroding, sinking Galapagos hotspot volcanic islands carried
eastwards made it much closer to a large body of 'mainland' in the past than
they do currently before disappearing beneath the tide, but is there good
evidence they ever did?  The authors below conclude "... it is unlikely that it
will ever be possible to reconstruct a continuous history for a Galapagos
archipelago, which is essential for the survival of Galpagos biota, beyond
about 15Ma." (because of  75 m.y. of subduction under Costa Rica).

* Werner, R., K. Hoernle, P. van den Bogaard, C. Ranero, R. von Huene, &
D. Korich. 1999. Drowned 14-M.y.-old Galapagos Archipelago off the coast of
Costa Rica: Implications for tectonic and evolutionary models. — Geology
27(6):499-502.

--
  Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.cri.nz>
  http://www.annelida.net/