FW: Islands, Science and Creationism

Bill Shear wshear at EMAIL.HSC.EDU
Mon Apr 15 11:42:45 CDT 2002

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bill Shear <wshear at email.hsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:41:49 -0400
To: John Grehan <jrg13 at PSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Islands, Science and Creationism

> This is exactly what Darwinian biogeography did for the Galapagos with all
> its assertions of overwater dispersal being the only possible origin for
> the Galapagos biota. Croizat's approach did not rely on accepted historical
> geological reconstructions and his method took theory ahead of the current
> knowledge of the time and generated predictions of future empirical
> discovery. Regardless of philosophical and rhetorical objections and the
> priority traditionally given to other disciplines over biogeography,
> panbiogeography actually works.

Now I'm confused.  The present-day Galapagos cannot be demonstrated to have
had any land connection with previous archipelagos, and always has been
separated from the South American continent or any other land mass by water.
What possible other means of dispersal than "overwater" could account for
the terrestrial biota found there?

Bill Shear

------ End of Forwarded Message