Galapagos, biogeography, geology

Les Kaufman lesk at BU.EDU
Tue Apr 16 09:33:53 CDT 2002

All of the natural science view the universe through the lenses of
thermodynamics, relativity, and quantum theory.  When new theories prove
their mettle, they are
absorbed into this basic toolkit, and when old ones fail (e.g., the
"ether", epicycles, etc.) they are abandoned.  This is an organic process.

I study evolution in East Africa, which is a geologist's playground.
Geology can not be ignored.  But any one geological hypothesis always
has alternatives that may stress other forces or historical considerations.

Panbiogeography advocates open-mindedness in the erection of hypotheses
about distributional histories.  That is great.  But I am having
difficulty seeing how it adds up to a theory.

--
Les Kaufman
Biology Department
lesk at bu.edu