Galapagos Iuridae scorpion outlier

Thomas Yancey yancey at GEO.TAMU.EDU
Fri Apr 19 09:05:21 CDT 2002

Read's query is a very valid request for explanation. The insistence that
patterns of distributions of organisms can only be discussed within the
context of specific methodological principles of panbiogeography suggests
to me that panbiogeography is a trivial or meaningless method. I see the
instance cited below as an example of an hypothesis that has failed a test
and needs to be re-evaluated - not from the methodological side, but from
the data side. Better adherance to the scientific method is called for.

T. Yancey

>At 12:52 PM 4/19/02 +1100, you wrote:
>> > The Mediterranean occurrence was not a necessary component for describing
>> > the East Pacific track ...
>>
>>That's an interesting concept. How can one leave out primary data points? Its
>>presence on the map would have excluded this taxon from those
>>corresponding to this  track and (seems to me) placed it in another.
>>
>>   Geoff Read <g.read at niwa.cri.nz>
>
>This will need to be explained for me to be able to comment. Please
>describe the specific methodological principles of panbiogeography that
>lead to this conclusion.
>
>John Grehan

Thomas E. Yancey
Dept. Geology & Geophysics, Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77843-3115
ph: 979-845-0643
tyancey at tamu.edu