Centres of origin

P.Hovenkamp Hovenkamp at NHN.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Mon Apr 22 10:22:49 CDT 2002

At 03:30 PM 4/19/02 -0400, John R. Grehan wrote:

>One could add to this the comments of Craw and Weston that classical
>center of origin biogeographic is a whole set of programs with widely
>differening basic assumptions concerning the recognition of centers of
>origin, some of which are logically contradictory. They suggest that
>center of origin/dispersalist approaches are a collection of metaphysical
>research programs that aim to provide explanation in the light of
>currently accepted knowledge rather than prediction beyond or counter to
>such knowledge.

Mmm - interesting. So if I try to explain the currently pantropical
distribution of, say, Nephrolepis multiflora to the best of my ability and
on basis of the currently accepted knowledge, I am participating in a
metaphysical research program?

Reading a little bit between the lines, I feel that such questions to John
Grehan are not part of Science. Am I reading correctly?

Peter Hovenkamp