The order Dictyoptera

Riaan Stals VREHRS at PLANT5.AGRIC.ZA
Tue Apr 23 08:56:56 CDT 2002

On 22 Apr 2002 at 23:15, Ken Kinman wrote:

>        While we are on the subject, I wonder if cladists now tend to
>        favor a
> single Order Dictyoptera, rather than splitting the termites, roaches
> and mantids into 3 separate orders (as above).

Ken and others,

There is growing acceptance, at least among those cladistically minded, that the
termites, cockroaches and mantids represent a monophylum, hence considered the
order Dictyoptera.

The internal structure of the Dictyoptera is a moot point (especially the placement of
Cryptocercidae = woodroaches), but the following is likely: Blattaria + Cryptocercidae
is sister to Mantodea, with the Isoptera as sister group to that complex.

Greetings from Africa,

RIAAN

RIAAN STALS
VREHRS at PLANT5.AGRIC.ZA

South African National Collection of Insects
ARC - Plant  Protection  Research  Institute
Private Bag X134  Pretoria 0001 South Africa
Voice +27-12-323-8540    Fax +27-12-325-6998