Fwd: Re: Galapagos scorpion and center of origin

P.Hovenkamp Hovenkamp at NHN.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Fri Apr 26 10:40:21 CDT 2002

At 11:36 AM 4/25/02 -0400, John Grehan wrote:

>(...)
>I think one will find that there will be a trickle down effect as
>traditional biogeographers quietly incorporate panbiogeographic
>principles. A common example is the use of minimal spanning links. Even
>though biological cladograms do not contain any spatial information, one
>often finds n that the graphic representation of maps by vicariance
>cladists and dispersalists involves minimal distance and main massings.
>Other biogeographers are beginning to map distributions against tectonic
>formations, thus applying the spatial correlation method of
>panbiogeography (see Heads 1999).

I'm puzzled. Are you suggesting that Heads is an "other biogeographer", and
not a panbiogeographer?

Incidentally, how does one become a panbiogeographer?
If I would have written "Towards a panbiogeographic approach for the
analysis of vicariance patterns" instead of what I wrote ("A direct method
for the analysis of vicariance patterns", Cladistics 17: 260-265) - and
would have phrased the introduction slightly differently - would that have
raised some eyebrows?

Peter Hovenkamp