Weird fossil?

Ken Kinman kinman at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 26 16:14:31 CDT 2002

Dear All,
     Below is a link to a close-up photograph of a "mystery" fossil found in
Utah.  Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but to me it looks like a specimen of
Ainiktozoon, which is presently regarded as an arthropod (perhaps a
thylacocephalan crustacean).  Others see only "plant material" or just a
conglomerate non-fossil in this photo.
     Anyway, if it is an Ainiktozoon, the "eye" structure is on the lower
right side of this photograph (so you have to look at it upside down to see
the similarity to Ainiktozoon).  I hope I'm not just seeing things (like
seeing a "Madonna" on a stained wall), but if this is an Ainiktozoon it
would be quite an important find.  If it is not a fossil at all, I'll be
very embarrassed, but here it is for what's it worth:
   http://www.udink.org/fossils/rock4.jpg
             ----- Cheers,   Ken