Type specimens

Jan Bosselaers dochterland at PANDORA.BE
Sun Apr 28 17:18:49 CDT 2002

Robert Mesibov wrote:

> Doyle Chadwick wrote:
>
> "I have a question about basic procedure regarding the description of
> species. I've always assumed that only mature (definitive, as opposed to
> immature) specimens were used as type species specimens, but I can't find a
> written reference to that principle. I realize this is rather arcane, but
> it's something I need for a discussion group."
>
> The Code regulating zoological nomenclature neither requires nor recommends
> matures. Taxonomists try to choose as type a specimen which has
> characteristics clearly distinguishing the new species from all already
> described species. In some cases no mature specimens are available, and a
> 'sufficiently different' juvenile can do the job.

Indeed. In recent years, I saw two spider types, Mardonia fasciata and
Brachyanillus liocraninus (both catalogued as Liocranidae), that turned out to
be juveniles. Mardonia was identified by Deeleman as a juvenile Seramba
(Sparassidae), Brachyanillus (which I am still studying) is OK as a separate
liocranid genus and species.

Regards,

Jan
Dr. Jan Bosselaers
"Dochterland", R. novarumlaan 2
B-2340 Beerse, Belgium               tel / fax 32-14-615896
home: dochterland at pandora.be  /  hortipes at dochterland.org
work: jbossela at janbe.jnj.com
web: http://www.dochterland.org/

"Please understand we don't want no trouble.
We just want the right to be different. That's all." Jarvis Cocker