ICBN Lectotypes - follow-up

Dipteryx dipteryx at FREELER.NL
Thu Aug 1 19:10:41 CDT 2002

In view of the fact that Art 9.10 was rewritten after the StLouis Congress I
looked up the Report of the Nomenclature section in Englera 20 (2000)

This very issue was extensively discussed. There was a proposal (prop D) to
allow the leeway for an illustration to be substituted instead of a
collection. This would be especially important for 18th century names, when
not much is available in the way of collections. For 19th and 20th century
names collections are preferrable as types

In their discussion on proposals to alter this Art (then Art 9.9) the
Section clearly states that botanical tradition is that a lectotype must be
an isotype, or when this does not exist, must be a syntype, or when this
does not exist, must be an isosyntype.

When an author does not follow this prescribed sequence as laid down in
(then Art 9.9 now Art 9.10) his lectotypification can (must ?) be overturned
by a proper lectotypification. Greuter says so explicitly on page 80. It
would appear that Art 9.17 (then 9.13) only counts if Art 9.10 (now, then
Art 9.9) has been followed.

This would mean, in the case submitted that the 'syntypes' in the herbaria
of the original authors can/must be appointed as new lectotypes supplacing
the 'isosyntypes' in Vienna.

+ + +

However if I were not aware of this and had only the Code to hand I
certainly could not explain this. Both Art 9.10 (now, then Art 9.9) "must be
chosen" and Art 9.17 (now, then Art 9.13) "must be followed" would seem
straightforward, incontrovertable and irreconcilable.

Maybe an issue for the Vienna Congress?

How about a proposal to change Art 9.17 to: "The author who first designates
a lectotype or a neotype must be followed, provided this designation was
done in accordance to Art 9.10 and 9.11, but that choice is superseeded if
... "

This would make sure that this botanical tradition is clearly reflected in
the Code.

It would seem this is the point where a veteran Code Warrior puts in a wise
word?

Best,
Paul van Rijckevorsel